Thursday, July 14, 2005

 
The flashback on my memorable experience in Bangkok....

When i was on the plane flying back to Malaysia, I realise that I have fell in love with the warmth hospitality of my Thai friends. The story began when i received and sms from my good thai friend, Pui. She told me that i am selected to be the CEEDer in LC Central Bangkok. I was really excited as all the while I was hoping to get this opportunity to be integrated into Thai culture. Due to the situation in southern thailand, my parents are worrying about me going to Bangkok alone. I've tried hard to convince them so in the end, I touched down in Don Muang International Airport on 12th May 2005 at 12pm:)

The reception and orientation...
The hosting LC gave me a warmth reception. Kluea, Name and Wan picked me up from the airport, brought me around for city orientation right after my arrival. Name, my buddy...taught me some survival thai language...the 1st sentence was :"chan yak gin tom yum kung"...(I want to eat Tom Yum Kung) as I really like to eat:)

It was impressive that the reception from my buddy were brilliant eventhough she is very new in AIESEC. It makes me feel that knowledge and experience is not a problem as long as you have the passion in doing something and have the faith to make it a success! I was her 1st assignment since she join the team in May:)

Other than reception in terms of logistics, she was my good companion when i was in Thailand. She helped me to be integrated into thai culture. I am sure I have the chance to see Thailand better with my CEED opportunity as compared to only go to Bangkok for holiday.

She brought me around in many places especially the temples such as Wat Phra Keaw, Wat Arun, Wat Pho and etc...her excellent knowledeg in history and religion makes her a good guide when we were visiting the museum and temples..

My roomate - N'Pang

I was staying with an active alumni in her hostel. She is a crazy girl...have a lot of fun hanging out with her:) Language is not a barrier for us to communicate, we shared a lot and soon we became close friends:) Sometimes we talked until the middle of the night, or I taught her a Chinese song by Penny Tai. Coincidentlty, "wo yao de ai" (the love that I want) is one of her favourite song. She didnt know how to speak mandarin...so I am her teacher to explain the meaning of the lyrics to her and to coach her in singing that song....hahaha, i felt amazed when i know that is her favourite song and she got really excited when she realised i know that song:) It's fated i guess:) We are just very Clicked eventhough we are from different background.

The working culture
I was in charge of Member Development in LC Central Bangkok. My team consist of 7 people, namely : Kluea the LCP, Kate the VPG,Parn the VPF, Emmie the VPOGX, Wan the VPICX, Name the VPS&L and last but not least Pang the Advisor:)

Their working culture is a little bit different than Malaysia. They are very polite and rarely argue on issues. At first I found it hard to adapt my working style to them as I am a tough person and sometimes i will argue a lot if i have a different opinion. When i was working with them, I need to adjust the way i speak (need to be more polite and soft) and my expectations on certain thing (eg: punctuality, work load and etc). It was really a good experience for me and I feel that I've learned to be more sensitive and concern of the way my teammates feel. However, sometimes I still argue with them when I want things to be progressive;p

Friendship

The biggest treasure that i've gained from my CEEDership in Bangkok is the friendship. There were times when i felt alone and frustrated but my teammates gave me full support. I've met many nice and friendly people who lend me their helping hands whenever I have problems.
I hang out with my friends in Bangkok very often.


We went for shopping at weekend market, victory monument, siam...hang out at bar with trainees and some aiesecers...a decent walk in the Benjasiri park with my buddy...loafing in Emporium looking at people...
We shared our feeling and talked about many interesting topics...those are the sweet memory that I will never forget!




Food
Thai food are mainly spicy, especially those from Nothern part of Thailand (Issan food)...I've ate a lot as I really love spicy food...Tom Yum Kung, SomTam, Phad Thai, Khao Neaw Mahmuang are my favourite...

Thai eat rice for almost every meal from breakfast til dinner...
The cafeteria in Chulalongkorn Univeristy is my favourite place as it's the cheapest place for decent food in Bangkok:) I really envy the students in Chula...

Swensen's mango ice cream with sticky rice is the best dessert i ever tried in Bangkok...but it's seasonal, so i tried only once:(
Dairy products like milk and yogurts are cheap, so it's good for a yogurt freak like me:)

Emrn...there are too much to talk about food na..i think i can spend the whole day talking about Thai food...

The surprised ultraman birthday party
I spent my 23rd birthday in bangkok, right beside the swimming pool in my trainee, Manu's apartment. My teammates surprise me two brownies from S&P and an ultraman soft toy..I broke into tears for that! It was one of the most memorable birthday I ever had...
At night, I received a phonecall from my good friend, Pui...she was in HongKong but she called me to wished me birthday...what a sweet girl..
Besides, i've received wishes and gift from my roommate, the MC team, Sachiko (my japanese friend), and Ofi the alumni:)....I am touched!

The farewell....
I felt really sad when I have to leave Bangkok earlier than I've planned..I've cried a few times with different bunch of friends upon the farewell...
I always hate to say goodbye...and i am the type of emotional person where I can easily cry..
However, life goes on...all of us just hope fate will bring us together again...

For this, I've left my towel in my roommate's hostel, hoping that we will meet again...That was one of the Indonesian superstitious. I heard from my Indonesian friend 4 years ago that if someone left a towel in your house, you will be able to meet that person again in the future.....and it happened twice to me...1st time when my japanese friend left a towel in my house, and i met her again the following year in Japan....the second time was last year when Pui (my thai friend) left her towel in my house...and you see...i met her again in Bangkok...

It could be just coincidence...but i still choose to believe this...to have faith that we gonna meet again! :)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?